Plymouth Gin is produced in the Black Friars distillery in Plymouth, England – the only gin distillery left in the Plymouth. It has been produced since 1793 and is part of a protected geographical indication, meaning that only gin produced in Plymouth can be called Plymouth Gin.
It was started by Fox & Williamson, later to become Coates & Co – it was then sold in 2004 to Allied-Lyons, a management group, and then to Swedish company V&S in 2005 who also produce Absolut Vodka. It has now been owned by Pernod Ricard since 2008.
It is slightly less dry than a typical London Dry gin and uses a larger proportion of root ingredients to give it an earthier feel. It is also blended with Dartmoor water.
It is bottled at 41.2%ABV and there is also a “Navy Strength” version which is bottled at 57%ABV because it was the traditional strength ordered by the British Royal Navy. It was the BRN that actually popularised the use of gin in the mind 1700’s as when they were in India they mixed it with Quinine (tonic water) for its anti-malarial qualities – which is where the G&T came from. It is also used specifically in 23 cocktails in Savoy book of cocktails.
It was tradition in the BRN to commission a new vessel with a Plymouth Gin Commissioning kit which was a wooden box containing 2 bottles of Plymouth Navy Strength gin and some glassware.
The gin received four double gold, four gold, one silver and two bronze medals at the SFWSC between 2006 and 2016.
Juniper, Coriander Seed, Spanish Orange Peel, Lemon Peel, Green Cardamom, Angelica Root & Orris Root.